This activity obtains different products from animals such as meat, milk, wool, fur and eggs.
The main types of livestock are:
1 CATTLE : COWS, OXEN, BULLS, BUFFALO, ZEBU (MILK – DIARY PRODUCTS – FUR)
2. GRAZING ANIMALS: SHEEP AND GOATS (MILK- CHEESE- WOOL)
4. EQUINE HORSES, MULES AND OTHER EQUINES – WORK(RIDING AND TRACTION) RECREATION(RIDING/RACING), FUR, MEAT.
5. CUNICULTURE OR RABBIT BREEDING – MEAT /FUR/PETS
6. POULTRY (HENS, CHICKENS, DUCKS, TURKEYS) – MEAT/ EGGS/ FEATHERS
7. APICULTURE OR BEEKEEPING (HONEY , BEEWAX)
8 CAMELIDS (CAMELS , ALPACAS AND LLAMAS) – WOOL/ MEAT/ MILK/ TRANSPORT
TYPES OF LIVESTOCK FARMING
Livestock is classified according to different criteria:
CAPITAL INVESTMENT AND LABOUR
- Extensive livestock farming: capital investment is limited and productivity low. The livestock is mostly cattle and sheep and grazes on large pasture in the open air.
FOOD AND LIVESTOCK METHODS
- Grazing livestock when animals are fed on grass.
- Confined livestock animals are kept in sheeds and eata feed.
- Semi- confined livestock in summer animals eat grass when there is not enfough grass they eat feed.
MOBILITY OF LIVESTOCK
+ Nomadic herding : herders and their families are constantly moving in search of good pasture.
+ Transhumance or seasonal migration of livestock: herders move their animals several times a year between winter and summer pastures.
+ Sedentary livestock farming animals do not move around to obtain food as farmers give them feed.