WHAT ARE THE MAIN CITY FUNCTIONS?
The main functions of cities are:
- Residential with housing for their population
- Political as institutions are located in them. There is a local, regional and national capitals. However, Brussels or New York have the seats of international organizations.
- Commercial and financial as they are markets and some of them have international relevance.
- Industrial from the 19th century, even nowadays places like Shanghai are large industrial states.
- Cultural and religious as for example Cambridge famous for its university or Rome and Mecca with religious relevance for Christians and Muslims.
- Tourists are interested in cultural attractions, picturesque landscapes of famous beaches.